Teriyaki Eggplant Steaks
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch circles
1 recipe Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce*
Salt, to taste
Optional Garnish--sesame seeds
1. Place eggplant slices in a large casserole dish and season with salt. Prick slices with a fork a few times to allow the teriyaki marinade to soak through. Pour marinade over eggplant, turning slices to ensure that they are coated on all sides.
2. Let eggplant marinade for 15-30 minutes, flipping slices halfway through marinade time.
3. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a cooling rack over baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray. (This will help the eggplant cook evenly but if you don't have a cooling rack that will fit in your baking sheet, simply spray foil and place eggplant slices directly on foil lined baking sheet).
4. Preheat broiler to high. Remove eggplant slices from marinade (save the marinade) and place in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the eggplant with the marinade.
5. Place eggplant steaks under broiler until golden on the top, about 2-3 minutes (watch carefully!).
6. Remove baking sheet from oven and carefully flip eggplant slices. Brush tops with a layer of teriyaki marinade. Return to oven and broil until eggplant is tender and golden on all sides, 2-4 minutes more.
7. Plate eggplant slices on 4 serving plates. Brush with a final layer of teriyaki marinade. Sprinkle with a dash of sesame seeds, if desired.
Nutrition Information--approximately 160 calories per serving ( 1/4 of the recipe)
*Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce Recipe -- http://spicysweetpotato.blogspot.com/2012/12/gluten-free-teriyaki-sauce.html