Pumpkin Spice Cornbread
1 cup gluten free cornmeal
1 cup gluten free flour mix (or gluten free all purpose flout
1 cup frozen corn, thawed and thoroughly dried
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ginger
dash of cayenne, if desired
1 cup + 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons grapeseed oil (or canola oil)
1/3 cup unsweetened orginal almond milk
1/4 cup sugar free pancake syrup
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-inch cast iron skillet with nonstick spray. (If you don't have a cast iron skillet, a square baking dish will work).
2. In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, thawed corm, baking powder, salt, and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cayenne) until combined.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together pumpkin, applesauce, oil, milk, syrup and eggs until combined.
4. Pour pumpkin mixture into cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Add cornbread batter to the cast iron skillet and spread out evenly.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 26-30 minutes or until slightly golden on top and firm to the touch. (Mine was done after 27 minutes.)
7. Allow bread to cool for a few minutes prior to slicing and serving.
Nutrition Information--approximately 115 calories per serving (1/12 of the recipe)