Butternut Squash Latkes
3/4 cups shredded butternut squash (a box grater works well)*
1 tablespoon liquid egg substitute
1.5 tsp. gluten free flour blend or gluten free all purpose flour
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
Salt, to taste
Plus any desired toppings, such as applesauce
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place shredded squash on a clean kitchen towel and roll up tightly to remove any excess moisture.
3. In a small bowl, combine squash, egg substitute, flour, garlic powder and salt. Mix well.
4. Carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven. Cover sheet evenly with a 3-second spray of olive oil spray.
5. Spoon squash mixture onto the sheet in 3 evenly spaced mounds. Using the back of a spoon, flatten and spread each mound into a circle about 3 inches wide.
6. Carefully (don't forget that it's hot!) return pan to the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
7. Remove baking sheet from oven. Coat the top of the latkes with another 3-second spray of olive oil spray. Gently flip with a spatula.
8. Return latkes to the oven and bake for about 8 minutes more, or until both sides of latkes are crispy.
9. Top latkes with any desired toppings and enjoy.
Nutrition Information--approximately 85 calories per serving (entire recipe)
* If time permits, shred your butternut squash the day before, and store, covered, in the refrigerator until ready to use. This will help dry out the squash to produce the crispiest latkes possible.