Veggie Sloppy Joe's are a delectable vegetarian version of the traditional, meat-filled Sloppy Joe sandwich. This recipe was adapted from kblog.lunchboxbunch.com and it is packed with tasty vegetables like mushrooms, tomatoes, and peppers. The sandwich also contains the ever versatile Textured Vegetable Protein, which can be found in most major supermarkets and health food stores. TVP is comprised of soy protein and is the perfect meat alternative for the Sloppy Joe's. Try this deliciously messy sandwich today!
Veggie Sloppy Joe's
1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
4-5 cremini or button mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) (I used the kind by Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup water
1.5 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar-free maple syrup
1/4 cup diced fire roasted tomatoes
1/4 cup crushed tomatoes (plus 1-2 tbsp, if necessary)
2+ tsp. jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (use a larger amount and/or seeds for more heat )
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke
salt and pepper, to taste
4 slices light gluten free sandwich bread (like the kind by Ener-G)
1. Spray a medium skillet with nonstick spray and bring to medium-high heat.
3. Add the bell pepper and mushrooms to pan and saute for 5 minutes.
4. Add in the tomato paste, water and TVP. Stir until TVP absorbs the liquid and thins the paste.
5. Stir in soy sauce, maple syrup, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and jalapeno. Add in spices (chili powder, parsley, and garlic powder) and season mixture with salt and pepper
6. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking sloppy joe mixture for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens, stirring from time to time. If mixture becomes dry, add additional crushed tomatoes. Add in liquid smoke, and taste for seasoning.
7. Toast bread slices then divide Sloppy Joe mixture between two of the bread slices. Top with the two remaining slices to form two sandwiches and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 225 calories per serving (1 Sloppy Joe Sandwich)