Who knew tofu could taste so hearty and meaty? In this simple but scrumptious recipe from Candice Kumai, tofu is used to create an incredible meat-free marinara sauce.
Herbed Tofu Marinara
1 garlic clove, minced
3 oz. light firm tofu (like the kind by Mori-Nu)
3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. balsamic vineger
salt & pepper
1 package Miracle Noodles
a few leaves fresh basil, chopped
1. Spray a medium saucepan with nonstick spray and heat over medium-high heat.
2. Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Use a fork to crumble the tofu and then add to pan.
4. Add the tomatoes, oregano, and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to a summer, then reduce heat to medium low, and cook until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Stir sauce occasionally.
5. Stir in the vinegar and turn off the heat.
6. While the sauce cooks, prepare the noodles. Drain miracle noodles and pat dry with a paper towel. Use kitchen shears to cut up noodles into more manageable pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl and season with salt and pepper. Microwave 1 minute. Stir noodles, and microwave for 1 more minute.
7. Plate the noodles, and top with sauce. Finish with fresh basil, to taste.
Nutrition Information--approximately 95 calories per serving.