What's the smartest sandwich on the block? The amazing ABC Sandwich! (aka the Apple, Bacon, and Cheddar). Some may consider it an odd combination but I say why not combine all the best things in life? Juicy apple slices, tangy mustard, gooey cheese, and crispy bacon create a flawless sandwich. My motivation for making this meal was a brilliant sandwich-shaped pan I bought over the weekend. It's not required for this recipe but it certainly adds some cuteness to the cooking process!
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread
1 slice turkey bacon (I prefer the "natural" kind by Applegate Farms)
4-5 thin slices of apple (about a 1/4 of an apple, save the rest for a snack)
2 tsp. Promise butter spread
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 slice fat-free cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bacon on a small square of aluminum foil and bake until crispy (about 12 minutes). Cut strip in half then cut each half into 3 matchstick shaped pieces (kitchen shears work well for this).
2. Spray a small skillet (or sandwich-shaped pan!) with nonstick spray and heat over medium-low heat.
3. Lay bread on a clean work surface (such as a cutting board). Spread 1 tsp. of Promise on each slice of bread and then flip so buttered side is facing down.
4. Spread each slice of bread with 1 tsp. of dijon mustard (not the side with the butter). Place apple slices evenly on one slice of bread (on top of mustard), then lay on cheddar cheese slice. Arrange bacon pieces on top of cheddar. Finally, finish with the remaining slice of bread with buttered side facing out.
5. Gently place sandwich in skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides (3-4 minutes). Press sandwich down with spatula occasionally.
Nutrition Information-- approximately 210 calories per sandwich