Protein Packed Veggie Chili
1/2 tsp. canola oil
1/4 of a green bell pepper, finely chopped
3 oz. lite firm tofu (like the kind by Mori-Nu)
1 garlic clove, minced
1.5 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
dash of cayenne pepper (adjust according to heat preference)
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup fire roasted diced tomatoes, not drained
1/4 cup canned lentils
Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
1. Heat the canola to a small pot to medium.
2. Add in the bell pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until pepper has softened, 5-8 minutes.
3. Use paper towels to thoroughly dry tofu, then use a fork to crumble it into small pieces. Add tofu, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, bay leaf, salt and pepper into the pot. Cook, stirring often, just until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Stir in diced tomatoes (with their juices) then reduce heat to low, and cook chili, covered, until it has thickened, about 45 minutes. Stir chili from time to time while it is cooking.
5. Add in the lentils , and cook until they are warmed through, about 5 minutes. Taste chili, and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
6. Transfer chili to serving bowl and garnish with toppings, if desired.
Nutrition Information--approximately 172 calories per serving (entire recipe, not including toppings)
Spicy Sweet Potato Cornbread Recipes: