Asian Tofu Lettuce Wraps
7-8 Paddy Straw dried mushrooms (or any kind of dried mushrooms)
1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
3 oz. extra firm light tofu (like the kind by Mori-Nu), check for gluten
1/4 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1/8 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. gluten free soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
4-6 butter lettuce wraps (or whatever kind of lettuce you prefer for wrapping)
Salt and Pepper
1. Place mushrooms in small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit until soft, 8-10 minutes. Remove mushrooms from water, dry thoroughly, and chop into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add ginger and garlic to skillet and saute for 1 minute.
3. Wrap tofu in a paper towel and dry thoroughly before adding to skillet. Use a spatula to crumble tofu into very small pieces. Cook tofu for 5-6 minutes, until most of the liquid evaporates and tofu starts to turn golden.
4. Add the mushrooms, chili powder, paprika and soy sauce to the pan, then cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Stir in the peas and continue cooking, just until peas are heated through.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in balsamic vinegar. Test for seasoning, then add salt and pepper, to taste.
7. Plate the lettuce cups and divide tofu mixture between lettuce. Fold up and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 110 calories per serving