Provencal Lentil Tacos with Roasted Vegetable Salsa
Serves One (2 Tacos)
Click Here for Printable Recipe
Roasted Vegetable Salsa:
1/4 red bell pepper, chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
1/4 green bell pepper, chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
4-6 cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt & Pepper
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. coriander
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 small garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup cooked lentils*
1 tsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 (6 inch) corn tortillas**
Handful of Fresh Arugula, Chopped
Fresh Parsley to Garnish, Chopped
To Make the Salsa:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
2. Place vegetables on baking sheet and spray with additional nonstick spray. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast vegetables until beginning to brown, 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
4. Remove vegetables from oven and transfer to a bowl. Drizzle in balsamic vinegar and toss to coat vegetables.
To Make the Filling:
1. While the vegetables are roasting, you can begin preparing the lentil filling.
2. In a small dish, stir together spices (marjoram, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper) until combined. Set aside.
3. Spray a small skillet with nonstick spray and heat to low. Saute garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Stir in lentils, 1/4 cup chicken broth, tomato paste, hot sauce, and spices.
5. Raise heat to medium and use the back of spatula to mash lentils slightly. Continue cooking lentils 10-12 minutes, stirring often and continuing to mash lentils until they begin to hold together but still have a little texture (or your desired consistency). Add broth, one tablespoon at a time, as necessary as the lentils absorb the liquid (you may not need all of it).
6. Stir in fresh parsley. Taste for seasoning and adjust, if necessary.
1. Scoop about 1/2 of the lentil filling onto each tortilla. Top with roasted vegetable salsa, arugula, and parsley. (You may have leftover toppings). Fold up and enjoy!
* 1/4 cup raw lentils will yield about 3/4 cup cooked. Prepare according to package directions.
** For the best results, use this recipe for homemade tortillas--http://spicysweetpotato.blogspot.com/2013/01/homemade-corn-tortillas.html