Quinoa and Crab Stuffed Red Peppers
1 cup quinoa
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces lump crabmeat
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, stacked, rolled, and sliced crosswise into thin strips
2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
1. Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan then stir in the quinoa. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed the liquid, about 20 minutes. Scrape the quinoa into a large bowl to cool slightly.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
3. Coat the insides of the pepper halves with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil and arrange, cut side up, in the prepared baking dish. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Roast until just tender, about 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the crabmeat and crushed tomatoes and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked quinoa, basil, Old Bay, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and black pepper.
6. Remove the pan from the oven and place on a heatproof work surface. Mound 1/2 cup of the quinoa mixture in each pepper half and return to the oven.
7. Roast until the peppers are soft and fragrant and the quinoa mixture is hot, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Nutrition Information--approximately 215 calories per serving (1 stuffed pepper half)