Tired of the same, old boring chicken? Time for a chicken makeover! For this Hungry Girl recipe, chicken is rolled up with a cheesy, spinach mixture, topped with tomato sauce and more cheese, and then baked to perfection. It's one of those recipes that's super easy to accomplish but will impress everyone you serve it to.
Three-Cheese Chicken Cannelloni
Makes 2 Servings
1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach
1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms
1/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
dash ground nutmeg
salt and pepper
2 (5 oz) raw boneless skinless chicken breast
3/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. Lay one piece of chicken on a cutting board between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet to pound chicken until about 1/3 inch thick. Repeat with second piece.
3. Place spinach and mushrooms in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute or until softened. Blot thoroughly, removing excess liquid. Add ricotta cheese, parmesan, garlic clove, nutmeg, and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir well and set aside.
4. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Lay on a clean, flat surface and evenly spread veggie/cheese mixture between two pieces. Starting with a longer side, roll up one cutlet and place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with second piece of chicken.
5. Cover dish with foil and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes and seasonings (garlic powder, basil, Italian seasoning) in a small dish.
7. Remove chicken but leave oven on. Take the foil off baking dish and spoon tomato sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
8. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted (about 15 minutes).
Nutrition Information-- approximately 274 calories per serving (1 stuffed cutlet)