This is a Hungry Girl recipe from her amazing TV show. The eggplant tower looks extremely elegant but is actually quite easy to put together. This recipe is a great way to dress frozen burgers in a way that is quick but also tasty.
Saucy Eggplant Tower
Makes 1 Serving
2 frozen veggie burger patties (eggplant burgers are ideal; check for gluten)
1 eggplant (about the same width as burger patties)
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
1 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
fresh basil, to garnish
1. Preheat grill pan (or small skillet sprayed with nonstick spray) to medium heat.
2. Slice 3 rounds off the thick end of the eggplant (discarding the very bottom). You want the slices to be as close to the size and width of burger patties as possible. Season eggplant with salt.
3. Place eggplant slices and burger patties on grill. Cook about 4 minutes per side or until fully cooked.
4. Pour crushed tomatoes into a small microwave safe bowl and stir in seasonings. Cover and microwave about 30 seconds or until hot.
5. Place one eggplant slice on plate. Evenly top with a spoonful of sauce and then top with a burger patty. Spoon sauce on top of burger and repeat- eggplant, sauce, patty, sauce, eggplant. Pour the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh basil.
Nutrition Information--approximately 280 calories per serving