This is my version of a Food Network Magazine recipe from "The Sandwich King", Jeff Mauro. When I saw the recipe for the first time, I knew I had to make it since it includes some of my favorite ingredients- roasted squash, caramelized onions, & cheese! The sandwich is creamy and gooey with the perfect hint of sugar and spice.
Butternut Squash Grilled Cheese
Makes 1 Sandwich
1 tbsp. Promise butter spread, divided
4 thin round slices of butternut squash (cut the neck of squash from the bell and reserve bell portion for later, peel the narrow end of the squash and slice 4 slices off tip)
2 tsp sugar-free maple syrup
1/4 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper
1/4 of a medium onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
dash of Truvia
2 slices gluten-free sandwich bread
1 slice fat-free cheddar cheese
1 mozzarella light Laughing Cow wedge, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
2. In a small bowl, toss squash slices with maple syrup, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Transfer to baking sheet.
3. Roast squash 20-22 minutes or until tender. Set aside and let cool.
4. Melt 1 tsp. Promise in a medium skilled over medium-low heat. Add onion and toss to coat. Cook until onions begin to develop a deep brown color. When bottom of the pan begins to look brown, deglaze with a splash of chicken broth (every 5-8 minutes).
5. Stir in balsamic vinegar, sugar, and salt (to taste). Cook, stirring frequently, until onion mixture becomes very sweet. Deglaze bottom of pan if necessary.
4. Place bread slices on a clean, dry surface. Spread one tsp. of butter on each slice of bread, then flip bread so butter side faces down. Spread 1/2 a wedge of Laughing Cow on each slice of bread (on the reverse side from the buttered side).
5. Place squash rounds on one slice of bread on top of Laughing Cow. Top with caramelized onions, and than cheddar cheese. Close with the other slice of bread, buttered side facing out.
6. Heat a small saute pan sprayed with nonstick spray over medium heat. Place sandwich in skillet and cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden and cheese is melt-y.
Nutrition Information--approximately 185 calories per sandwich