My breakfast today was inspired by a Hungry Girl recipe for blueberry scones that I made before giving up gluten. I changed the recipe quite a bit, however and the result was decidedly un-sconelike.Therefore, I've decided to call it the Anti-Scone- an extremely moist creation that conjures up images of Apple Pie with it's delicious cinnamon, apple, and oatmeal flavor combinations. While it may not be an authentic scone, this recipe is super simple and delectable!
The Apple Pie Anti-Scone
Makes 4 servings
1/3 cup regular gluten-free oats (such as Bob's Red Mill)
1/3 cup cinnamon Chex (the BEST gluten-free cereal!)
1/3 cup gluten-free pancake mix (such as Pamela's)
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. Truvia
1 tsp cinnamon
Sprinkle ground ginger and nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking powder
Zero Calorie Butter Spray
2 tbsp. sugar-free maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 apple, diced into small chunks (about 3/4 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. Place cinnamon Chex in a ziploc bag and seal tightly. Use your hands to crush Chex until they are about the same size as the oatmeal. (Alternatively, you could use a small blender but who wants to have to clean the blender?)
3. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl (oats, chex, pancake mix, brown sugar, truvia, spices, and baking powder).
4. Spritz dry ingredients with butter spray until they begin to stick together. Stir in milk and mix well. Fold in apple chunks.
5. Spoon batter into 4 even mounds on baking sheet (be sure to spread them out so they don't run together). Don't worry if they look a little messy, they will still be delicious!
6. Bake 10-11 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
Nutrition Information-- approximately 115 calories per scone