When your in the mood for a childhood favorite with a grown-up twist, this is the sandwich for you. Like the classic grilled cheese, this has cheese oozing from every angle yet the addition of red peppers and eggplant makes it more substantial and tastier. Plus, the soft, spreadable Laughing Cow cheese eliminates the need for all the butter. The resulting sandwich is healthier and more appealing than the original.
Mediterranean Grilled Cheese
Gluten Free* Vegetarian
2 slices gluten free light sandwich bread
1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Mozzarella, Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil, room temperature
1 slice fat-free cheddar cheese
1 piece roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 thin round of eggplant, skin removed
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat grill pan to medium heat.
2. Spray eggplant with olive oil spray and season with salt and pepper on one side. Place seasoned side down on grill and season other side (olive spray, salt and pepper)
3. Grill about 3 minutes per side or until grill marks appear and eggplant is tender. Remove from grill
4. Spread half of Laughing Cow cheese wedge on each slice of bread. Place cheese slice on top of Laughing Cow on one slice of bread. Lay red pepper strips on top of cheese in a single layer. Finish with grilled eggplant and top with remaining bread slice. Be sure to place cheese side facing inwards.
5. Spray outside of sandwich with olive oil spray and place on grill. Grill until golden brown and cheese melts (about 3 minutes per side).
Nutrition Information--approximately 225 calories