Is there anything in the world better than a bowl of creamy, delightful risotto? I think not! This recipe from Women's Health magazine adds in pumpkin for a twist on the classic risotto.Once again, pumpkin makes a traditional recipe even better, leading to an unparalleled risotto dish.
Pumpkin Mushroom Risotto
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup pure canned pumpkin puree
3/4 cup + 4 tsp shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
salt and pepper
dried thyme, to taste
1. Heat broth in a saucepan until boiling, then reduce to simmer. Maintain simmer.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
3. Add rice and cook about two minutes, stirring until rice is thoroughly coated with oil.
4. Add mushrooms and wine and cook, stirring until most of the liquid is evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
5. Add 1 cup of broth and cook, stirring until most of the liquid is evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
6. Continue to add broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is almost evaporated after each addition. Keep adding broth until rice is creamy but still al dente (17-18 minutes).
7. Stir in pumpkin, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook 1-2 minutes. Divide risotto among 4 bowls and top each with 1 tsp cheese.
Nutrition Information-- Approximately 240 calories per serving