I was looking for a new way to serve tilapia when I came across a recipe for tilapia burgers on a blog called Pardon the Dog Hair. I made some slight modifications to the original recipe and ended up with this bright and tasty tilapia burger You can also vary the toppings dramatically to switch up the flavors each time you make them.
Makes 6-8 burgers
1 lb tilapia filets, cut into large chunks
1/2 of a large green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 jalapeño, seeded and cut into quarters
2 tsp lime juice
1/3 cup liquid egg whites
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2-3/4 cup fresh gluten free bread crumbs
1/2 tsp chili powder
Salt and Pepper
Optional Toppings--gluten free hamburger buns, lettuce, salsa verde, green chiles
1. Place tilapia, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño and lime juice in the bowl of a food processor (not a mini food processor). Pulse until combined.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together Dijon and egg whites. Stir in tilapia mixture, chili powder and salt and pepper, to taste. Add in 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs and mix until combined. If mixture doesn't hold its shape when formed into patties add additional bread crumbs, one tbsp at a time.
3. Form mixture into 6-8 burgers, (depending on how large you want them) and place on a cutting board or large platter.
4. Spray a large cast iron skillet with nonstick spray and heat to medium high.
5. Add tilapia burgers to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden and cooked through on both sides.
Nutrition Information--110 calories per burger( when recipe is made into 6 patties)