Here is a slight variation on the SSP Pumpkin Mushroom risotto*. This decadent and delicious version has twice the mushrooms plus swiss chard for a little variety and interest. Not to mention that it has none of the dairy from the original recipe so it is completely vegan friendly.
Double Mushroom Risotto
5.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 oz dried mushrooms (any variety)
2 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup pure canned pumpkin puree
2 cups Swiss chard, cut into ribbons
salt and pepper
dried thyme, to taste
1. Heat broth in a saucepan until boiling, then reduce to a low simmer. Add in dried mushrooms and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove mushrooms from pan and place on cutting board. Dry mushrooms and chop. Leave broth simmering on the stove.
2. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
3. Add rice and cook about two minutes, stirring until rice is thoroughly coated with oil.
4. Add both types of mushrooms (dried and regular) to the pan along with a ladleful of simmering broth and cook, stirring until most of the liquid is evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
5. Continue to add broth a ladleful at a time, stirring until liquid is almost evaporated after each addition. Keep adding broth until rice is creamy but still al dente (17-18 minutes) and the majority (or all) of the broth is used up.
6. Stir in pumpkin, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in Swiss chard and continue cooking until leaves are just wilted.
Nutrition Information-- Approximately 195 calories per serving (1/4 of the recipe)
*Pumpkin Mushroom Risotto http://spicysweetpotato.blogspot.com/2011/09/risotto-makes-world-go-round.html?m=0