Mini NoMeatloaf was inspired by a meatloaf recipe from Hungry Girl that used ground turkey. I thought the recipe looked good but decided to try a vegetarian version and it turned out fantastic. The TVP provides the ideal substitute for meat while the other ingredients add a ton of moistness and flavor.
1/4 cup textured vegetable protein (Tvp)
3 tbsp + 1.5 tsp boiling water
1 tsp + 2 tsp ketchup, divided (check for gluten)
1/4 cup dry broccoli slaw*
1 tbsp liquid egg substitute
1 tbsp gluten free old fashioned oats (like the kind by Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
A few sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a small, round baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Place TVP in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let mixture sit for about 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
3. Add 1 tsp of the ketchup plus the remaining ingredients (broccoli slaw, egg substitute, oats, Dijon, garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper). Mix until well combined.
4. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Spread remaining 2 tsp of ketchup on top.
5. Bake meatloaf for 30-32 minutes or until heated through and slightly crisp on top.
Nutrition Information--approximately 190 calories (for entire recipe)
* Have extra broccoli slaw to use up? Try this recipe for an Open Faced Tuna Melt