BBQ Shrimp Skewers, another meal inspired by Hungry Girl, is one of the easiest but also one of tastiest shrimp dishes you will ever make. The most time consuming part of the recipe is simply threading the shrimp on the skewers. This dish is so foolproof you can have a meal on the table in no time especially if you make the delectable BBQ sauce ahead of time. Plus, thanks to the help of indoor grill pans, you can have these amazing BBQ shrimp no matter what the weather is outside.
BBQ Shrimp Skewers
12 oz (3/4 lb) medium-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 cup Hungry Girl BBQ sauce (* see recipe below)
Salt and Pepper
Special Equipment-- skewers (if using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes beforehand)
1. Preheat grill pan to medium heat and spray with nonstick spray (unless your grill pan is nonstick).
2. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Thread shrimp onto skewers sideways through the head and tail so that they lay flat on the grill pan and don't twist around.
3. Place skewers on grill pan. Cook until cooked through on one side, about 3-4 minutes. Shrimp will curl up when cooked ( if you have trouble with a few shrimp not cooking evenly, press down on them with a spatula).
4. Flip skewers and continue grilling until the shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes more.
5. Remove shrimp from grill and place on a platter. Place 1/3 cup of the BBQ sauce in a small dish and then use a brush to glaze shrimp on both sides with barbecue sauce.
6. Serve shrimp with remaining barbecue sauce on the side for dipping.
Nutrition Information-- approximately 254 calories per serving (1/2 of the recipe)
*HG Barbecue Sauce
Makes about 3/4 cup
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp +1 tsp. brown sugar (not packed)
1 tbsp + 1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information-- about 13 calories per tbsp.