Spinach Bites are a fun new way to utilize frozen spinach. I used a variation of a Hungry Girl recipe to create this amazing appetizer. The cheesy, gooey bites are perfect for entertaining and serving as hors d'oeuvres.
5 oz. frozen chopped spinach (about 1/3 of a cup), thawed and thoroughly patted dry
2 tbsp. Parmesan, finely grated
3 tbsp. liquid egg substitute
2 wedges Laughing Cow Light Mozzarella cheese
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp. salt
dash of black pepper
1/4 cup Corn Chex
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except the Corn Chex, and stir until completely mixed. Set aside.
3. Place Chex in a Ziploc bag and seal tightly. Place another Ziploc bag around the outside. Use your hands to crush the Chex to a breadcrumb-like consistency.
4. Add Chex to medium bowl and mix until integrated.
5. Scoop out about 1 tbsp. of spinach mixture, form into a small bowl, and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture, for a total of about 12 spinach bites.
6. Bake in the oven for 16-18 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Allow to cool slightly, then enjoy.
Nutrition Information--approximately 155 calories per serving (about 6 bites, or half of the recipe)