This delightful recipe, inspired by Giada, turns pizza upside down with a cheesy, pesto sauce and a tomato topping. The amazing and unique pesto is bright and flavorful thanks to ricotta cheese and arugula. I spread the scrumptious sauce on an easy Hungry Girl crust but you could use the pesto on any crust or wrap you like. If you wanna try a more traditional oat pizza, check out this recipe--
Arugula Pesto Pizza
Makes 2 Personal Pizzas
2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. fat free ricotta
1 garlic clove
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
1/3 packed cup arugula
1-2 tbsp. chicken broth.
Mini Oat Pizza--
1/2 cup corn chex
1/2 cup gluten free oats
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1 medium tomato, cut into slices
2 tsp. parmesan cheese, grated
1. To make the pesto, blend ricotta, garlic, salt and pepper in a small food processor until combined. Add mozzarella and arugula then pulse to combine until a pesto consistency is formed.
2. Transfer pesto to a small bowl. Stir in 1 tbsp. of chicken broth. Add more broth, 1 tsp at a time, until desired sauce consistency is reached. Set aside.
3. To make the crust, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wipe out food processor with a paper towel then add chex and oats. Blend until crumbs resemble a fine breadcrumb mixture.
4. Transfer crumbs to a small bowl and stir in egg substitute, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Be sure ingredients are mixed well.
5. Spray a medium pan with nonstick spray and bring to medium-high heat. Spoon half of the oat mixture into pan and use back of spoon to smooth into circular crust, about 6 inches in circumference. Cook about two minutes (until lightly browned) and than flip carefully using a spatula. Cook the second side about 2 minutes more (also until lightly golden) and then transfer crust to a plate to cool.
Repeat with remaining dough to form a second pizza.
6. Spray two squares of aluminum foil with nonstick spray. Place one crust on each square. Spread half of the pesto on each crust, then top with tomato slices. Sprinkle 1 tsp. of Parmesan on each pizza.
7. One at a time, carefully place foil squares directly on oven rack Bake pizzas for 10 minutes. Cut into quarters and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 200 calories per pizza