This delightful dessert is a variation of a recipe I saw in Food Network Magazine. This cool and creamy layered dessert is perfect for a warm, spring day. The homemade vanilla pudding is simple to make but it tastes absolutely incredible. Mix the pudding with a few more crunchy and sweet layers and you having a winning combination.
Banana Pudding Parfait
2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
3 tbsp. gluten free cornstarch
pinch of kosher salt
1/3 cup Truvia sweetener
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large bananas
1/2 cup corn chex
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
Optional-- crushed almonds
1. Heat the almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat until almost simmering, remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch, salt, Truvia, and egg substitute in a medium heatproof bowl.
3. Pour about half of the milk mixture into egg mixture. Whisk vigorously until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly. Continue whisking until mixture is thick, and starting to bubble, 7-10 minutes.Whisk in vanilla.
5. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool completely, stirring occasionally.
6. Cut bananas into thin slices.
7. In a large glass, layer the ingredients as follows--
- a few banana slices
- a few pieces of Chex
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. of prepared pudding
- a sprinkle of cocoa powder (and almonds, if using)
- repeat above steps to create two more layers
8. Repeat process in 3 more glasses. Check to make sure mixture is cooled, then cover glasses tightly with plastic wrap. Chill at least 4 hours, or overnight.
Nutrition Information--approximately 125 calories per serving (not including almonds)