I saw Rachael Ray make a version of Chicken Tetrazzini on her TV show and knew immediately that I had to make my own version. This recipe is a combination of Rachael's recipe and a Hungry Girl version I changed the dish to be vegetarian and added a creamy cream-less sauce. The end result was a decadent delight that tastes too good to be true. Be warned- the serving size is huge.
Cauliflower Tetrazzini Casserole
Makes 4 Enormous Servings
1 medium head Cauliflower, core and leaves removed
1.5 cups water
4 packages Miracle Noodles
8 oz. gluten free cream of mushroom soup*
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
4 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss Cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1.5 tsp. garlic powder, divided
1/2 tsp. salt + more for seasoning
1/2 tsp. pepper+ more for seasoning
dash of grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. parsley flakes, divided
1 and 1/3 cup frozen peas, defrosted and patted dry
4 cups mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
2. Bring 1.5 cups of water to boil in a medium pot and season with salt. Add the whole cauliflower head, cover with lid, and steam until just tender, 7-8 minutes. Drain and break until florets. Set aside.
3. Rinse and drain noodles. Pat dry and use kitchen shears to cut into smaller pieces. Place noodles in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl combine soup, sour cream, milk, cheese wedges, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan. Add 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper, nutmeg, cayenne, and 1/2 tsp. parsley. Mix until smooth. Stir in peas and set aside.
5. Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium high heat. Add mushrooms in an even layer. Let cook, undisturbed, until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Stir mushrooms and saute until golden on all sides, about 2-3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add noodles, cauliflower, and soup mixture to skillet with mushrooms. Stir until mixture is evenly combined and all ingredients are coated in sauce. Transfer to prepared dish.
7. Sprinkle top of casserole with remaining 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, a dash of salt, a dash of pepper, remaining 1/2 tsp. of parsley. Top with breadcrumbs, remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan, and oregano.
8. Bake in the oven until topping is browned and slightly crunchy, 25- 30 minutes.
9. Let cool slightly prior to serving.
Nutrition Information--approximately 190 calories per serving
*This may be slightly difficult to find but there are gluten free brands available. Progresso and Pacific are two brands that do make gluten free soup but they may not be available at major supermarkets. You should definitely be able to find it at a natural foods store.