Duo of Chex
This scrumptious sandwich is like a tribute to Chex, the greatest cereal ever invented. The recipe is a slight twist on a sandwich created by Jeff Mauro. The fun and filling PB&J brings out your inner child while still hitting complex flavor profiles from sweet to salty.
Crunchy Fried PB&J Sandwich
1/4 cup Cinnamon Chex
1/2 tbsp. peanut butter powder mix (like the kind by FitNutz)
2 slices gluten free light sandwich bread
1 tbsp. sugar free jam (any flavor)
1/4 medium banana, sliced thinly on a diagonal angle
2 tbsp. Corn Chex
2 tbsp. liquid egg substitute
1. Place Cinnamon Chex in a resealable sandwich bag and seal tightly. Use your hands to carefully crush cereal until it is a breadcrumb like texture. Transfer to a shallow dish and set aside.
2. Place peanut butter powder in a small dish. Whisk in water a teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
3. Lay bread slices on a flat surface. Spread one slice of bread with peanut butter spread. Layer banana slices on top of peanut butter. Mound corn chex on top of bananas.
4. Spread jam on remaining slice of bread, then place jam side down on other slice of bread to form sandwich.
5. Spray a small skillet with nonstick spray and heat to medium heat. Pour egg substitute into a shallow dish.
6. Carefully dip sandwich in egg substitute, turning to coat on all sides, then dip into Cinnamon Chex, pressing down to make sure all sides are coated.
7. Place sandwich in skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden and crispy on the outside.
8. Slice on the diagonal and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 245 calories per serving