In this recipe, tasty polenta is broiled to golden perfection than smothered in a silky mushroom gravy. The polenta can be topped with a variety of other sauces while the mushroom gravy can ladled onto almost anything. Versatile and delicious, what more could you ask for?
Crispy Polenta with Mushroom Gravy
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. low sodium chicken broth
3 tbsp. gluten free polenta
1/4 tsp. sesame oil
4-5 cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried sage
salt & pepper
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1.5 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1.5 tsp. gluten free cornstarch
1. Spray a small casserole dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. To prepare the polenta, bring the chicken broth to boil in a small saucepan. Add salt to taste. Pour in the polenta in a fine stream, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
3. Reduce the heat to low. Cook polenta until thick and creamy, about 20 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon.
4. Spread the polenta mixture into prepared casserole dish and set aside to cool, about 30 minutes.
5. While the polenta is cooling, begin the mushroom gravy. Heat the sesame oil and 1.5 tsp. of water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
6. Add mushrooms, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper to taste. Cover and cook the mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes.
7. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, balsamic, and Worcestershire and bring to boil. Decrease the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. After mushrooms have simmered 10 minutes, whisk together cornstarch and 1 tbsp. of cold water in a small dish. Add into mushroom mixture and stir until gravy has thickened, 5-8 minutes.
8. Reduce heat to low and let gravy simmer until polenta is ready, stirring occasionally.
9. Preheat broiler to high. Cover a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
10. Cut cooled polenta into wedges or slices. Carefully use a spatula to transfer polenta to baking sheet.
11. Broil polenta 8-10 minutes, or until golden and beginning to crisp. Gently flip halfway through cooking.
12. Top broiled polenta with mushroom gravy and enjoy.
Nutrition Information--approximately 150 calories per serving (entire recipe)