Now that Easter has passed, it's time to break out the Spring "wardrobe" for the always versatile risotto. This season, risotto is wearing fresh mint and peas. These ingredients brighten up the creamy classic for a fantastic result. For the ultimate freshness, you could use fresh peas but be sure to blanch them prior to stirring into the risotto. I opted to use to frozen peas since I already had them on hand. Even with frozen peas, Pea & Mint risotto is amazing dish that will become a wardrobe staple for Spring.
Pea & Mint Risotto
2 & 2/3 cups low sodium chicken broth, check for gluten
1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup arborio rice
2/3 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1/2 cup fresh mint, cut into chiffonade (thin strips)
kosher salt and pepper
1. Heat broth in a saucepan until boiling, then reduce to simmer. Maintain simmer.
2. Spray a medium saucepan with nonstick spray and add olive oil. Bring to medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
3. Add rice and cook about one minute, stirring to coat rice in oil
4. Add 1/2 cup of broth, stirring until most of the liquid is evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
5. Continue to add broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is almost evaporated after each addition. Keep adding broth until rice is creamy but still al dente (17-18 minutes). All of the broth (or at least the majority of it) should be used.
6. Stir in the peas. Cook until peas are heated through, about 2 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in fresh mint and serve.
Nutrition Information--approximately 220 calories per serving (1/2 of the recipe)