Sweet potato nachos contain all the best attributes of nachos from the gooey cheese sauce to the crispy chips and all the wonderful layers in between. The difference with this recipe is a few smart swaps that transform the nachos into a dish that is much healthier but still tastes amazing.
Sweet Potato Nachos
2 small sweet potatoes (about 5 oz)
1.5 tsp chili powder, divided
1/2 cup canned lentils, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 cup fresh salsa
1.5 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1 recipe Easy Breezy Cheesy sauce (see below)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet and spritz with nonstick spray.
2. Thinly slice sweet potatoes into rounds and place on cooling rack (the rack eliminates the need for flipping during the cooking process).
3. Spray tops of potatoes with nonstick spray. Season with 1/2 tsp of chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Flip potatoes and repeat seasoning process.
4. Bake chips until crisp, 20-25 minutes.
5. While the chips bake, prepare cheese sauce according to recipe (see below). Keep cheese sauce warm over low heat until ready to use, stirring occasionally (add a splash of additional broth if necessary).
6. Place lentils in a small bowl. Season with 1/2 tsp of chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Use the back of the spoon to mash lentils until nearly smooth. Cover lentils and microwave until heated through, 30-45 seconds. Cover and microwave salsa until heated through as well.
7. To build nachos-- divide chips between two plates in an even layer. Top each plate with lentils followed by the salsa than. evenly distribute lettuce between portions. Finally, drizzle each plate with cheese sauce.
Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce--http://spicysweetpotato.blogspot.com/2012/01/vegan-delight.html
3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tbsp. gluten-free all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp.ground turmeric
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
1/8 tsp. salt
1. Place the nutritional yeast, flour, garlic powder, salt, and turmeric in a bowl and mix well.
2. Add the broth and mix well with a whisk to remove any lumps.
3. Once mixture is smooth, pour into a small saucepan.
4. Turn up the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
5. Once it comes to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer (sauce should be thickening and bubbling). Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until it has a thick, smooth, melted cheese consistency.
6. Stir in the mustard and taste for salt.