I was highly doubtful about this recipe but it is peculiarly tasty. The cheese sauce, from Isa Chandra Moskowitz, is made with absolutely no cheese. Instead, it utilizes a vegan staple- nutritional yeast. This isn't the same yeast you would bake bread with but rather a deactivated yeast that's full of protein and nutrients. You can find it in most health food stores, just be sure to check for gluten. An added bonus? It's a lot easier to make than traditional cheese sauce.
Easy Breezy "Cheezy" Sauce
3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tbsp. gluten-free all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp.ground turmeric
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
1/8 tsp. salt
1. Place the nutritional yeast, flour, garlic powder, salt, and turmeric in a bowl and mix well.
2. Add the broth and mix well with a whisk to remove any lumps.
3. Once mixture is smooth, pour into a small saucepan.
4. Turn up the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
5. Once it comes to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer (sauce should be thickening and bubbling). Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until it has a thick, smooth, melted cheese consistency.
6. Stir in the mustard and taste for salt.
(Nearly) Instant Dinner-- Mix together miracle noodles, roasted broccoli, and Miracle Noodles for a nutritious take on Macaroni & Cheese.