The ingredients for the Portobello Tofu Stack may look slightly odd but trust me, the end dish is magnificent. This quick recipe is the perfect appetizer or side dish for any meal and is especially great when tomatoes are in season.
Portobello Tofu Stack
3 oz light firm tofu (like the kind by Mori-Nu)
1/2 tsp Spike seasoning (or substitute with your favorite dried herbs)
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp TVP (textured vegetable protein), dry
1 portobello mushroom, cleaned and gills removed
2 fresh tomato slices
1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with foil and spritz with nonstick spray.
2. Place tofu in a small mixing bowl and use a fork to crumble it into small pieces.
3. Stir in spike seasoning, Dijon, balsamic, and TVP. Mix well.
4. Place portobello cap, stem side up, on prepared baking sheet. Scoop in tofu mixture ( you may have to pack it down to fit it all in).
5. Top tofu with tomato slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake 10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Information-- approximately 115 calories per serving