Turkey Meatballs With Spicy Tomato Sauce is a phenomenal dish that's a variation of a recipe by Ellie Kreiger. The scrumptious meatballs are composed of ground turkey (obviously) plus a ton of vegetables that add moisture and flavor. The meatballs are simmered in an amazing tomato sauce that gets a spicy kick from a touch of chipotle. This could quite possible be the best meatballs recipe ever...
Turkey Meatballs With Spicy Tomato Sauce
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1.5 tbsp tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp (or more to taste) canned chipotle in adobo and sauce, finely minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup gluten free oats
1/2 cup mushrooms, grated (yes you can grate mushrooms; it's a lot quicker than finely chopping them!)
1/2 cup carrots, finely grated
1/4 cup spinach, finely chopped
1 garlic clove,peeled and minced
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp liquid egg substitute
1/4 lb extra lean ground turkey
1. To make the sauce, spray a medium saucepan with nonstick spray and heat to medium. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, chipotles, oregano, bay leaf, and salt. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low, and let sauce simmer while you prepare the meatballs.
3. While the sauce is cooking, prepare the meatballs. Preheat the broiler and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick spray.
4. In a medium bowl, combine oats, mushrooms, carrots, spinach, garlic, and Parmesan until well mixed. Stir in egg substitute.
5. Add the turkey and use your hands to mix meat into other ingredients. Form into 6 golf ball sized meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet.
6. Broil meatballs until browned ad almost cooked through, about 10 minutes.
7. Season the tomato sauce with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the fresh basil.
8.Carefully add meatballs to sauce, cover, and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
9. Serve the meatballs on their own or over your favorite type of noodles (spaghetti squash, miracle noodles, zucchini noodles, etc).
Nutrition Information--approximately 205 calories per serving (3 meatballs plus half of the sauce)