It's not exactly the season for a hearty casserole but don't let that deter you from making this delicious eggplant casserole. Six Layer Eggplant Casserole is an amazing vegetarian dish with a Mediterranean flair that is based on a recipe from Vegetarian Times. It's like a cross between lasagna and moussaka with multiple layers of eggplant and marinara sauce. The recipe is slightly long but is certainly not difficult as long as you allow adequate time. Trust me, this casserole is worth the wait.
Six Layer Eggplant Casserole
1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
2 garlic cloves
2 portabello mushrooms, stems removed and diced
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, lightly drained
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup cooked brown rice
3/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp allspice
3 tbsp fresh parsley
1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
Salt and Pepper
1. Coat a large skillet or grill pan with nonstick spray and place over medium heat. Add the eggplant slices in batches, and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes, per side. Respray pan in between batches, if necessary. Place cooked eggplant on a large plate and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2 qt casserole dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
3. Once all of the eggplant slices are cooked, wipe out large skillet and respray. Set over medium low heat.
4. Add garlic to pan and cook for 30 seconds. Add portobello and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
5. Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and cooked rice. Add in oregano, allspice and season with salt and pepper.
6. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick and fragrant, about 15 minutes.
7. Remove sauce from heat and stir in fresh parsley.
8. Place one-third of the eggplant slices on the bottom of prepared baking sheet. Spread 1/3 of the sauce on top of eggplant. Repeat twice more for a total of six layers (3 eggplant and 3 sauce) that alternate between eggplant and sauce (top layer should be sauce). Sprinkle top of casserole with bread crumbs.
9. Place casserole in oven and bake until beginning to brown and bubble, 30-32 minutes. Remove from oven and preheat broiler. Spray top of casserole with nonstick spray and place back in oven. Broil until breadcrumbs are browned, 1-2 minutes.
10. Let casserole rest for a few minutes prior to serving.
Nutrition Information--approximately 175 calories per serving