In this light and delicious dish from FabFitFun, fresh tomatoes provide the perfect vessel for baked eggs. The recipe utilizes fresh summer time ingredients like tomatoes and corn to a create a simple yet amazing breakfast.
Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups
2 medium-large tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
1/4 tsp chives
2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a baking dish (large enough to hold both tomatoes) with nonstick spray.
3. Using a serrated knife, cut off the tops of the tomatoes (about 1/2 inch).
4. With a small spoon or melon ballet, gently remove seeds and inner membranes of tomatoes, being careful not to break through flesh of tomato.
5. Place tomatoes in baking dish ad season with salt and pepper.
6. Divide corn evenly between the two tomatoes.
7. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, and chives. Pour half of the egg mixture into each tomato. Sprinkle the tips of tomatoes with Parmesan.
8. Bake tomatoes until egg mixture is set, 45-50 minutes.
Nutrition Information--approximately 180 calories per serving (entire recipe)