Quinoa flakes are a versatile and tasty ingredient that any gluten free cook should keep on hand. They are often cooked as a hot breakfast cereal** similar to cream of wheat or oatmeal, but quinoa flakes can also be used in other ways such as a flour substitute. Today I decided to utilize quinoa flakes by turning them into a scrumptious dessert. This recipe was inspired by HealthfulPursuit.com and is embarrassingly easy to prepare. Just stir together all the ingredients, microwave, and you have a fantastic cake that is light, fluffy, and chocolatey.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Quinoa Cake
1 tbsp peanut butter powder (like the kind by PB2 or FitNutz)*
2-4 tsp water
2 tbsp pumpkin purée
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute, beaten with a fork/whisk until frothy
1/3 cup quinoa flakes (like the kind by ancient harvest)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 Truvia packets
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp baking soda
1. Spray a small ramekin or microwave safe bowl (about 16 oz) with nonstick spray.
2. Place the PB powder in a small mixing bowl with 1 Truvia packet. Add 2 tsp of water and mix thoroughly, until combined. Add additional water, if necessary, 1 tsp at a time, until peanut butter-like consistency is reached.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to mixing bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Pour batter into prepared ramekin and smooth the top with a knife.
4. Place in microwave and cook for 1 minute. Check cake for doneness (microwave times vary drastically). You can tell the cake is done when it rises slightly, pulls away from edges of dish, and doesn't feel liquidy in the center. If cake isn't done, continue microwaving in 30 seconds intervals.
4. Allow cake to rest for 1 minute before tipping over onto a plate.
Top with any desired toppings, such as whipped cream.
Nutrition Information-- approximately 205 calories per serving
*You can find peanut butter powder online or in health food stores.
**Bonus Recipe--If you need a quick breakfast, simply microwave 1 part quinoa flakes to 2 parts water along with any desired flavorings (like cinnamon or Truvia) until thick and creamy (1 min to 1m30s). Top with fruit or nuts, if desired. This is also the perfect travel breakfast. Simply place individual portions of quinoa flakes into ziploc bags with any desired dry flavorings (cinnamon, Truvia, protein powder, etc) and all you will need for breakfast is water and a microwave.