Roasted Potato Salad is a new take on the traditional potato salad that was based on a dish by Mario Batali. Instead of the typical hard boiled egg, this version uses a (microwave) fried egg, which provides the perfect creamy contrast to the crispy roasted potatoes. The end result is the perfect mix of different flavors and textures.
Roasted Potato Salad
6 oz red potatoes, cut into chunks
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp capers, chopped
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
1/4 tsp parsley
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
2. Place potatoes on baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer potatoes to oven and roast until golden and slightly crisp on the outside, 40-45 minutes. Stir potatoes halfway through cooking.
3. While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, combine balsamic, mustard, capers, and a dash of salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil.
4. When potatoes are almost finished roasting (about 10 minutes left), begin the egg. Spray a cereal bowl with nonstick spray. Pour in egg substitute and season with parsley, salt and pepper.
5. Place egg in microwave and cook 1 minute, or until cooked through and solid in the center. Set aside to cool.
6. Remove potatoes from oven and transfer to serving bowl. Cut egg patty into thin strips and add to potatoes.
7. Pour prepared dressing over entire salad and toss to coat.
Nutrition Information-- approximately 175 calories per serving