In my opinion, roasting vegetables is the easiest and tastiest way to cook them, however, sometimes you just need a different option. So whether you don't have a free oven or don't have a lot of time, Toasted Broccoli from Ellie Kreiger is a great alternative to roasting. The broccoli is quickly steamed in the microwave and then coated in a delicious bread crumb and spice mixture which adds tons of flavor and complexity to the dish. It's such an easy side dish that it almost feels like cheating.
1 bunch of broccoli, cut into spears
1 tablespoon water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup fresh gluten free breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and Pepper
1. Place the broccoli in a large, microwave safe bowl with the water. Microwave on high 5-6 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
2. Drain the broccoli and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. While the broccoli is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
4. Add the garlic to the pan and cook 1 minute. Stir in bread crumbs oregano, 1/4 tsp salt and a dash of black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the bread crumbs are toasted and golden brown, about 2 minutes.
5. Add the broccoli to the skillet, toss to coat with bread crumbs, and serve.
Nutrition Information--approximately 110 calories per serving