Sloppy Jane, a recipe from Hungry Girl is a healthy update on the traditional sloppy joe. The sandwich is just as sloppy, saucy, and satisfying as before but a few smart swaps make it much more nutritious.
3 oz extra lean ground turkey
Dash of salt
Dash of Truvia
1/4 tsp steak seasoning
1.5 tbsp red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp crushed tomatoes
1 tsp tomato paste
1 light gluten free hamburger bun (or 2 slices gluten free sandwich bread)
1. Spray a medium nonstick pan with nonstick spray and bring to medium high heat.
2. Add turkey to the pan and break into smaller bits using a spoon.
3. Sprinkle turkey with salt, Truvia, and steak seasoning. Continue to cook turkey, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides.
4. Reduce the heat to medium then add peppers, Worcestershire, and vinegar to the pan. Stir, and then continue to cook three minutes.
5. Add tomato sauce and paste to the pan and stir well. Reduce heat to low, and cook the mixture for an additional five minutes.
6. Toast the bun or bread slices then top one slice with turkey mixture. Finish with remaining slice and enjoy.
Nutrition information--approximately 260 calories per serving