Who would have imagined that cauliflower could be transformed into a healthier pizza alternative? In this genius recipe from LaurenConrad.com, cauliflower is turned into makeshift breadcrumbs and then shaped into the perfect petite pizza crust. You can top this versatile crust with just about anything but make sure that the toppings don't need to be cooked since they only get broiled for a few minutes. For my pizza, I used tomato sauce, roasted red peppers*, roasted portobello mushrooms, and parmesan cheese. Delicious!
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
1/2 cup riced cauliflower**
1/2 cup fresh gluten free bread crumbs
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp liquid egg substitute
Salt and Pepper
Desired toppings (tomato sauce, cheese, vegetables, etc)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminu foil and spray with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together cauliflower, breadcrumbs, egg, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Scoop dough onto baking sheet. Use your hands to shape dough into an even circle about 5 inches wide.
4. Bake crust for 12-14 minutes or until slightly browned on top and slightly firm to the touch.
5. Remove crust from oven and turn on broiler to high heat.
6. Add desired toppings to the crust. Place under broiler just until toppings are heated through and cheese (if using) is melted (3-4 minutes).
Nutrition Information--120 calories per crust (not including toppings)
* Skip store bought peppers and try making roasted red peppers at home--
**To rice cauliflower--
1. Remove stems and leaves from a cauliflower head then break it into large florets.
2. Place florets in food processor and pulse until it looks like grain but be sure to stop before the cauliflower is puréed (Alternatively, you can grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater).
3. Place the riced cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 5 minutes. Now the cauliflower is ready to be turned into a crust!
Note- One large cauliflower head will yield about 3 cups riced.