Spicy Lentil Burgers, adapted from a recipe by Bethenny Frankel, are one of the easiest vegetarian burgers you will ever make. The longest part of the process is refrigerating the pattie prior to cooking which really requires no effort. The burgers themselves are made of pantry staples that when combined form a delightful burger perfect for any day of the week.
Spicy Lentil Burger
1/3 cup canned lentils, divided
1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
1.5 tbsp carrots, grated
1/4 + 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp dried thyme
Dash of red pepper flakes
2 slices light gluten free sandwich bread
A small handful of baby spinach
1. Place 2 tbsp of the lentils in a small mixing bowl. Use a fork to mash the lentils until relatively smooth. Stir in remaining lentils.
2. Add bread crumbs, carrots, 1/4 tsp Dijon, hot sauce, curry powder, thyme, and red pepper flakes to lentils. Mix thoroughly.
3. Use your hands to shape mixture Ito a patty, then place on a small plate and refrigerate for at least fifteen minutes (this will prevent the burger from falling apart when cooking).
4. Spray a small skillet with nonstick spray and heat to medium high.
5. Add lentil burger to pan and cook until slightly golden and crisp on the outside, 3-5 minutes per side.
6. Toast bread slices then spread one slice with remaining 1/2 tsp of Dijon. Place burger on top of mustard.
7. Top burger with spinach, then finish with remaining bread slice.
Nutrition information--approximately 200 calories per serving