If you've never tried tofu before you may be a little skeptical that it can taste good. However, Mango-Teriyaki Tofu will show any nonbelievers the deliciousness of tofu. In this recipe from Vegetarian Times, sliced tofu is brushed with a scrumptious mango-teriyaki sauce before being grilled to perfection.
1/2 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1.5 tbsp. mirin (available in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
1 tbsp +1 tsp. gluten free soy sauce
1.5 tsp. Truvia
1 tbsp. water
3/4 cup cooked brown rice (about 1/4 cup uncooked)
1/4 tsp. salt
6-7 oz. firm lite tofu, drained & cut into 6 slices
3 tbsp. finely chopped green onions, divided
1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
1. Puree mango and ginger in a small food processor.
2. Strain puree into a small saucepan. Whisk in mirin, soy sauce, truvia, and water.
3. Bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
1. Preheat grill pan to medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
2. Brush tofu with mango-teriyaki sauce and place on grill pan.
3. Grill tofu 3 minutes, then flip and brush with more sauce. Grill 2-3 minutes more, or until both sides have grill marks.
4. Reheat rice and stir in 2 tbsp. green onions, sesame seeds, and 1-2 tbsp of mango sauce.
5. Mound rice onto plates. Arrange tofu atop rice. Drizzle with remaining mango sauce and sprinkle with remaining green onions.
Nutrition Information--approximately 175 calories per serving