Flatbread in a Flash
Here's another ingenious recipe from Robin Ryberg that utilizes the microwave to create amazing gluten-free bread. Today's bread is a scrumptious flatbread that can be used for almost anything. In fact, it's perfect for serving with yesterday's falafels. (http://spicysweetpotato.blogspot.com/2012/03/falafel-faux-fry.html).
Gluten Free Flatbread
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/2 tsp. canola oil
2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. unsweetened applesauce
dash of salt
2 tbsp. brown rice flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. Truvia sweetener
1. Spray a microwave-safe dinner plate with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, briefly beat substitute until until slightly bubbly.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
4. Pour the batter onto prepared plate and spread to edges of plate to form a thin circle.
5. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Check the flatbread and if it seems undercooked in the center, microwave for 15 seconds more. Check once more; you may need an additional 15 seconds of cooking. (Microwave power varies a lot).
6. Remove from microwave and flip over onto a cooling rack to allow bread to dry a little. Cool. Reheat in the oven or microwave prior to serving, if desired.
Nutrition Information--approximately 117 calories per serving