Falafel Faux Fry
In this delicious falafel recipe from Candice Kumai, the chickpea patties are baked instead of the the traditional deep frying. Amazingly, none of the flavor is lost and the end product is perfectly crispy and delightful . In this recipe, the falafels are served over a simple salad but you could also wrap the patties in lettuce leaves or a gluten free pita.
Baked Falafel Plate
1 (7.25) oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove, minced
6-8 cremini mushrooms, halved
1/4 cup parsley, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh gluten free breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. sea salt
12-15 plum tomatoes, halved
1/2 large cucumber, sliced into half moons
2 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
sprinkle of fresh dill, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
2. In a small food processor, combine the chickpeas, garlic, mushrooms, parsley, breadcrumbs, cayenne, coriander, cumin, and salt. Pulse to combine, then process until finely ground and the mixture holds together, about 30 seconds. (If the mixture doesn't hold together when you squeeze a pinch in your hand, pulse in breadcrumbs 1 tbsp. at a time until it does.)
3. Gently form the mixture in balls and flatten in patty shapes. Place on prepared sheet. (You should have approximately 6 patties).
4. Bake until crisp and golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
5. While the falafels bake, prepare the salad. Toss the tomato and cucumber together in a small bowl. Add the parsley, lemon juice, and salt. Toss to combine. Set aside at room temperature until your ready to serve.
6. To prepare the sauce- Stir the yogurt, lemon juice, and dill together.
7. To serve, divide the falafel and salad among 2 plates (about 3 falafels per serving). Top with yogurt sauce or serve sauce on the side for dipping.
Nutrition Information--approximately 169 calories per serving (1/2 of the recipe), 1 gram of fat, 10 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbohydrates