I was extremely skeptical when I first saw this recipe by Roben Rybert which uses only a microwave to make a homemade English muffin. However, I am now a total believe in this extraordinary recipe that yields an perfect English muffin, complete with nooks and crannies, after just one minute in the microwave.
Makes 1 Muffin
1 egg white
1/2 tsp. canola oil
2.5 tbsp. unsweetened plain applesauce
small pinch of salt
3 tbsp. brown rice flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Truvia sweetener
1. Spray a small ramekin or other straight-sided microwave safe bowl with nonstick spray (It should hold about one cup of liquid. Pour in a cup of water to test the capacity if necessary). Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, briefly beat egg white until it is frothy (you should see bubbles of varying size).
3. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
4. Pour batter into ramekin and gently tap the base to level the batter.
5. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Check the muffin and if it seems undercooked in the center, microwave for 15 seconds more. Check once more; you may need an additional 15 seconds of cooking. (Microwaves vary a lot). Muffin should feel firm in the center and pull slightly away from edges when it is done.
6. Gently remove from the dish and place on cooling rack to cool.
7. Once muffin is cooled, split in half and toast. Spread with jam or butter or any of your favorite toppings.
Nutrition Information--approximately 135 calories per muffin