The pumpkin-salsa sandwich is a slightly strange invention that tastes incredibly creamy and decadent. The combination of pumpkin, salsa, and various spices creates a tasty treat that's messy and fun to eat. The addition of the egg patty adds another layer of flavor plus a nice protein boost.
Pumpkin Salsa Sandwich
2 tbsp. pure pumpkin puree
2 tbsp. fresh, refrigerated salsa
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/8 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper
2-3 cremini or button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
2 slices gluten free sandwich bread
2 tsp. Promise butter spread
1. In a small pot, stir together pumpkin, salsa, hot sauce, and spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper). Bring to medium- low heat. Let the ingredients heat through, stirring occasionally, while the rest of the ingredients are prepared.
2. Spray a small pan with nonstick spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and spread evenly in the pan. Let the mushroom cook, without stirring, until golden, 3-4 minutes. Stir mushrooms, and cook until golden on all sides, 3-4 more minutes. Season with salt & pepper, then transfer to small dish. Wipe out pan and save for cooking the sandwich later.
3. Spray a microwave-safe cereal bowl with nonstick spray. Add egg substitute and season with salt and pepper. Microwave for 1 minute, then shake bowl gently to stir egg. Microwave for 15-30 seconds more or until firm, egg patty is formed.
4. Spread 1 tsp of Promise on each slice of bread and place buttered side down on cutting board. Spoon pumpkin/salsa mixture on one slice of bread. Top with mushrooms. Gently pick up egg patty and place on top of mushrooms. Top with remaining slice of bread, buttered side facing out.
5. Respray small pan and heat over medium heat. Place sandwich in pan. Cook 3-4 minutes or until golden and toasty. Carefully flip sandwich, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
6. Plate sandwich, slice diagonally and serve.
Nutrition Information--approximately 185 calories per sandwich