Not Just For Ages 12 and Under
Pretty much every child loves chicken tenders so why not give everyone's favorite childhood dish a slight makeover? This chicken strips recipe from Candice Kumai gives the traditional chicken strips a few twists and adds a unique dipping sauce to create a more sophisticated but still scrumptious version. This is a recipe that both kids and adults will love.
Sesame-Ginger Chicken Strips--
1/4 cup gluten free low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp. dark sesame oil
1.5 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch-wide strips
1.5 tsp. sesame seeds
3/4 cup fresh gluten free bread crumbs
1 recipe Tangy Marmalade Dip (see recipe below)
1. Place soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake the marinade ingredients together.
2. Add the chicken to the bag, reseal, and shake until chicken is evenly coated. Refrigerate for 1 hour (or overnight).
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a slotted broiler pan with nonstick spray. (You can also use a regular baking sheet but the chicken tenders will need to be flipped halfway through cooking,)
4. Place sesame seeds in a small skillet and heat over medium heat, shaking the pan often, until fragrant and toasty (1-2 minutes).
5. Place the breadcrumbs and sesame seeds in a shallow bowl.
6. Remove one chicken strip from marinade, and shake off any excess liquid. Dredge the chicken in breadcrumb/sesame mixture until evenly coated on all sides. Arrange on prepared broiler pan. Repeat with remaining chicken strips.
7. Bake until the chicken is cooked through, and breading is golden, 18-20 minutes. Serve with marmalade dip on the side.
Tangy Marmalade Dip--
1/4 cup sugar-free apricot preserves
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. lime juice
2.5 tsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
chili powder, to taste
1. Whisk the marmalade, mustard, lime juice, soy sauce, parsley, and chili powder together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
Nutrition Information--approximately 330 calories, 5 grams of fat, 38g of protein, 29 grams of carbs