I was inspired to develop this recipe when I saw banana squash on sale at the grocery store. Banana squash has a similar flavor to butternut squash but grows to be much larger (which is why it is normally sold in pieces). In this dish, banana squash is roasted with a balsamic glaze and then overloaded with quinoa and mushrooms to create a magnificent and slightly messy creation.
Squash "Boats" Stuffed With Quinoa & Mushrooms
300g banana squash (about a 2.5 inch wide slice)
Salt & Pepper
1 tbsp. Promise butter spread
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1.5 tsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. granulated Truvia
1 sprig of thyme
2 tbsp. quinoa
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth plus 1 tbsp. (check for gluten)
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup mushrooms,thinly sliced
1 sprig of thyme
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Place squash on baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer squash to the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the balsamic glaze. In a small saucepan, combine the glaze ingredients over medium-low heat. Stir until butter has melted then reduce heat to low. Let glaze cook over low heat until squash has roasted for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove squash from oven and brush with balsamic glaze. Leave extra glaze in saucepan and set aside. Return squash to oven and continue roasting for 20-25 minutes, or until fork tender.
4. While the squash finishes roasting, begin the filling. Spray a small saucepan with nonstick spray and heat over medium-low heat. Add garlic clove and saute for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add bay leaf, thyme, and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Bring to boil then season with salt and pepper.
5. Add quinoa to chicken broth mixture. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove thyme stem and bay leaf from quinoa.
6. Add 1 tbsp. of chicken broth to leftover balsamic glaze and stir until mixed.
7. Add balsamic glaze, mushrooms, and parsley to quinoa mixture. Stir to combine.
8. Carefully spoon quinoa mixture into "squash" boat. (Don't worry if some of the filling falls out, it will all taste delicious!). Drizzle with additional balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!