If you've ever been leery of working with scallops, this is the recipe to try. The most difficult thing about this dish is opening the can of tomatoes. What's even better about this recipe is the fact that it's ready in about 15 minutes. Exquisite sea scallops are seared to perfection and then topped with a sauce that is very straightforward but still has a pronounced and zesty Mediterranean flavor.
Scallops With Capers and Tomatoes
1.5 lbs. sea scallops
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons capers, drained
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 pinch Fleur De Sel (or kosher salt)
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place a layer on paper towels on a cutting board and set scallops on towels to drain. Put another layer of towels on top of scallops and pat gently. Dry scallops as thoroughly as possible! (this will ensure a golden sear).
2. Heat a large cast iron skillet (or a skillet with a heavy bottom) over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add scallops to pan; cook three minutes per side or until done (scallops should begin to turn opaque).
3. Remove scallops from pan and place on baking sheet. Place in oven to keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
4. Add garlic to the pan; cook 15 seconds. Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, capers, basil, and salt. Stir until heated through (about two minutes).
5. Remove scallops from oven and divide between four plates. Drizzle scallops with olive oil and then top with tomato mixture.
Nutrition Information--approximately 212 calories