Lean & Green
Pureed soups are the perfect blank canvas to create a delicious, flavorful, and filling meal. This recipe from Rocco DiSpirito transforms fresh broccoli into a creamy, soothing soup with the help of yogurt and a hint of my favorite cheese.
Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Makes 2 Large Servings
2.5 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1.25 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus extra if needed
1 cup Silk unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
salt & pepper
1. Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Once the pot is hot, spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add broccoli, onion, and garlic and saute until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
3. Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to boil. Cook uncovered until the liquid has reduced by half, approximately 8 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch until thoroughly combined.
5. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the broccoli mixture (after it has reduced by half). Bring the soup to a boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture has thickened (about 2 minutes).
6. Remove the pot from the burner. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Add more chicken broth if necessary to reach desired consistency.
7. Stir the cheese and yogurt into the soup. Season with salt and pepper.