Fast Food Fakeout
There's no need to stop at McDonald's for a greasy sandwich when you can create an easier and more delicious version at home. The slimmed-down ChickGriddle is a delightful breakfast symphony for your mouth composed of cheese,sausage, and egg sandwiched between two fluffy pancakes.
Sausage, Egg, & Cheese ChickGriddle
1 tsp. light buttery spread
2.5 tbsp. sugar-free pancake syrup
1.5 tbsp. gluten-free flour
1/4 tsp. baking power
1 frozen meatless burger or sausage patty (80-90 calories)
1 slice fat-free American cheese
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
Optional dip: additional sugar free pancake syrup
1. To make the pancake batter, place butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 10 seconds or until melted.
2. Add syrup, flour, and baking powder to butter and mix thoroughly.
3. Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Spoon in batter to form two small pancakes. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer pancakes to a plate and set aside.
4. Prepare burger in the microwave according to package directions (microwave 2-3 minutes).
5. Place pancakes on broiler safe plate (or baking sheet). Top one pancake with burger patty than place cheese slice on top of burger (leave extra pancake on plate to be heated as well). Place plate until broiler and cook until cheese is melted (2-4 minutes).
6. Meanwhile, cook the egg- spray a cereal bowl with nonstick spray. Pour egg substitute into bowl and microwave 1 minute. Using a potholder to protect your hand, swirl the bowl to redistribute the egg mixture. Microwave an additional 30-45 seconds or until egg is set.
7. Use a spatula to remove egg patty from bowl and place on sandwich (on top of melted cheese). Finish with the remaining pancake. Dip the breakfast sandwich in extra pancake syrup if desired
Nutrition Information--approximately 215 calories per serving