Tamarind Glazed Tofu Steaks is a recipe that melds tofu and Quick Tamarind-Date Chutney into a delectable entrée. The tofu is cut into thin “steaks” and marinated in a flavor packed ginger, soy, and curry marinade. Next, the tofu steaks are oven roasted until deliciously crisp on the edges, and then brushed with the sweet and sour chutney. After a few minutes under the broiler to caramelize the chutney glaze, the tasty tofu steaks are ready to enjoy. Serve with rice of gluten free pita bread to soak up any extra chutney!
Tamarind Glazed Tofu Steaks
Click Here for Printable Recipe
1 tablespoon Quick Tamarind Date Chutney
6 ounces lite firm tofu, like the kind by Mori-Nu (half of a 12 ounce package)
1/4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon vegetable broth, check for gluten
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
1 garlic clove, minced
1. Cut tofu in half lengthwise, then lay tofu flat on a cutting board lined with several layers of paper towels.
3. Layer 3 more layers of paper towels on top of tofu, then stack a large bowl or plate on top of tofu. Place 2 cans on top of bowl/plate to press down tofu. Press tofu for 30 minutes.
4. While the tofu is pressing, prepare the marinade. In a small bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients until combined. Set aside.
5. After 30 minutes, remove plate and cans from tofu. Cut each tofu slab in half lengthwise, so you have four thin tofu steaks. Place tofu steaks in Tupperware container or rimmed dish.
6. Pour marinade on top of tofu and carefully turn steaks so they are coated with marinade on all sides.
7. Place lid on container and put in refrigerator. Let tofu marinade for 30 minutes to an hour.
8. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with olive oil spray.
9. Once tofu is finished marinating, lift tofu out of marinade and place on baking sheet. Roast tofu for 15 minutes.
10. Remove baking sheet from oven. Spray the tops of tofu with olive oil spray, then use a spatula to carefully flip.
11. Return baking sheet to oven and continue to bake for 12-14 minutes more, or until golden on both sides and the edges have crisped.
12. Turn on broiler. Use a pastry brush or spoon to spread tamarind-date chutney on tofu steaks.
13. Place tofu until broiler for 3-5 minutes, until chutney is caramelized and browned.
14. Use a spatula to place tofu steaks on serving plate. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
Nutrition Information--approximately 130 calories per serving (entire recipe)